During my many years at Star 94 FM, I found my involvement at Children’s Healthcare one of the more enjoyable live broadcasts we did…raising money for the hospital. But it was more than just raising money, it was seeing the smiles on the childrens faces, the healing love of the staff and familes who were blessed by knowing their child was receiving some of the best care available in the country. During one of the radiothons my friend Stephen Wagner and I ventured to a floor that featured the “I AM WALL” showcasing letters from young children and their thoughts while in the hospital. On this particular day, dressed in my doctor scrubs and doctor jacket, I took a microphone and recorder to read some of the letters. What transpired was more than I had imagined. Our creative director Paul Bahr added music and the result is a manifestation of the children’s dreams and wishes which became the proudest moment thus far in my entire broadcasting career. I hope you enjoy it.
Today Andy wrapped his series on TIME and how we need to live knowing our days are numbered. God knows that number and even though we perhaps think we have it all figured out, we really don’t! “Under the Sun” was a phrase from the book of Ecclesiastes repeated about 29 times. (Andy says you should not start reading this book until you’re much older because if you started with The book of Ecclesiastes you’d wana lay down on train tracks!) I now have better understanding that there is Eternity in our hearts, knowing to fear God and follow his commandments, and in dealing with time, priority determines capacity. As Andy prayed with us all, the stage became illuminated in red lighting and shimmers of white. A solo piano began to play the Five for Fighting song “100 years” and the man bringing the song to life was Chris Cauley. Simply amazing talent. His soulful voice captured the emotional element of the song, drawing me in. I reflected on Andy’s message over the past 5 weeks. Listening to the lyrics “...there’s never a wish better than this, when you only got 100 years to live” brought it all home. Live for today, right now and celebrate all your blessings. Having just lost two wonderful friends this past week reminded me that we need to be present in the moment and the true gift IS the present. Be filled with love and gratitude and thank God right now.
Recently Dr. Oz reported on 5 foods that have been proven to starve Cancer. New groundbreaking research from The Angiogenesis Foundation proposes that you can stop cancer before it begins to grow. This new preventive approach is called anti-angiogenesis. As complex as the name sounds, the foods are probably very familiar to you!
Certain foods, eaten in the correct portions and frequency, can provide cancer-starving benefits. Below are 5 foods to eat that can prevent cancer growth:
- Bok Choy This type of Chinese cabbage contains brassinin; a powerful cancer-fighter, also found in broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Bok Choy should be eaten 3 times a week, in 1/2 cup servings to obtain its full benefits.
- Cooked Tomatoes have more cancer-fighting properties than raw tomatoes. Both contain the molecule lycopene, but heating the tomato changes its chemical structure and makes the benefits more readily available to your body. You should eat 2-3 (1/2 cup) servings of cooked tomatoes a week.
- Flounder This fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and low in mercury. Three 6-ounce servings a week is ideal.
- Strawberries The antioxidants in this berry help fight cancers. You should eat 1 cup a day, including the juice.
- Artichokes contain 3 different cancer-fighting molecules. Enjoy ¼ cup of hearts per day.
Watch the video with Doctor Oz and learn more by clicking here.